Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Man My Father Was NOT

My father was NOT the man who left a 6 year old little girl, waiting in the window-seat of her mother's apartment, for him to show up and take her and her little sister to the local Amusement Park.  He not only did not show up that day , but I didnt see him again for 17 years.  And when I finally did see him, it was I who had to go find him...
My father was NOT the man who continually told his little girl how fat she was and how much she was "just like her mother".
My father was NOT the man who has spent his entire life avoiding his responsiblities to his kids.
My father was NOT the man who created in me, the hang-ups that I have carried with me each day of my life.  As much as I know he is unstable, it still has an affect on you when the man who is suppose to be your "Daddy", and your biggest fan, continually beats you down with his words and his actions or lack-there-of.
No, the title of "Father", has been reserved for the man who took on that role, willingly, whole-heartedly, and completely. Because Fatherhood has nothing to do with blood and everything to do with sweat and tears.